Pathway to Citizenship ~ Marriage to a US Citizen


There are many ways to become a Citizen of the United States (US). This post on Pathway to Citizenship will focus on those who begin their path to citizenship after marrying a US citizen (USC). If you are the spouse of a USC a petition can be filed for you to first become a Permanent Resident (PR) of the US also known as a green card holder. Once the general requirements for citizenship are met, after three years as a PR married to the same USC, an application for naturalization can be filed. There are exceptions for PRs who are married to USCs in certain government, religious, business or research organizations.

Some general requirements for Naturalization include:

  1. Time as PR
  2. Good moral character (waivers may be applicable in some cases)
  3. Age (applicant must be at least 18 years of age)
  4. Residency and Physical Presence
  5. Use of the English language
  6. Knowledge of US history & government
  7. Support/Adopt the US Constitution
  8. Take the Oath of Allegiance
  9. Complete Naturalization application

Attorney Jamila Little is a tremendous immigration lawyer and is deeply committed to providing excellent representation to her clients. She is passionate about the practice of law and does a great job representing her clients resolve their Naturalization legal issues.

If you have questions about this post, call [nap_phone id=”LOCAL-REGULAR-NUMBER-1″].

The post Pathway to Citizenship ~ Marriage to a US Citizen appeared first on Little Law, P.A..

Share To: