Work & Investment Visas

Tampa Work & Investment Visa Lawyer

U.S. companies seeking to fill high-level positions may often look abroad to increase their pool of potential applicants. Doing so, however, means conforming to strict government standards and ensuring compliance with laws designed to protect the U.S. workforce. Additionally, it requires navigating some tricky terrain when it comes to the process of immigration itself.

Little Law, P.A., is dedicated to helping immigrants obtain legal status and U.S. citizens willing to sponsor them. This includes employers who want to file for work permits such as H-1Bs. We also help investors obtain nonimmigrant visas to conduct business in the United States.

Contact our Tampa work and investment visa lawyer online or at (813) 640-4931 for help with business, work, and investment visas. We can guide you through the immigration process. Se Habla Español.

Employment-Based Immigrant Visas

If you are an immigrant applying for a visa based on employment, you will need to be able to prove your ability to do the job that you want to be hired for or manage the business you want to open. This requires honest reporting of any relevant work experience, educational experience, and vocational certifications. 

The U.S. provides the following work visa categories:

  • EB-1a – Workers who possess extraordinary ability or specialized knowledge.
  • EB-1b – Professors or researchers with extraordinary abilities or specialized knowledge.
  • EB-2 – Professional workers with advanced degrees or exceptional ability.
  • EB-3 – Other skilled workers, professionals, or generalized laborers.
  • EB-4 – Religious workers, translators, broadcasters, or other special laborers.

Not all business visas are tied to a full-time offer of employment. For example, highly qualified scientists, athletes, and artists can self-apply for a visa. Having a valid, full-time job offer can certainly help your chances. Certain types of visas, such as the EB-3 visa, are directly linked to your employer.

In cases where you are terminated from your employment, laid off, or otherwise lose your job, you have 60 days to find another position. Our business visa lawyer can help you understand your options and any grace periods that may apply to your case.

What Is a “Worker of Extraordinary Ability?”

Immigrants who qualify under EB-1 as “workers of extraordinary ability” are given priority over other workers. Additionally, eligibility does not need to be tied to a specific job offer, and the immigrant is not required to be sponsored by an employer. EB-1 candidates also do not need to go through the labor certification process.

Workers of extraordinary ability may include the following:

  • Recognized leaders in the arts, sciences, athletics, or business through “international acclaim”.
  • Outstanding professors or researchers who are recognized for their achievements in their field of practice.
  • Executives and managers who need to transfer to the U.S. for work.

While those who come to the U.S. need not have a specific job offer, they must intend to work in the U.S. In addition, 10 criteria prove extraordinary ability. Any applicant who files for an EB-1 visa must be able to prove three of the 10.


Hear what our clients have to say

At Little Law, P.A., your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.

    “Treated Us Like Family and Proved To Us That We Matter In The USA”
    “With Little Law it was an experience that I can't forget, connection was real the play-by-play information, on-time service, and never left me in the dark to wonder. Treated us like family and proved to us that we matter in the USA. I spread the word to al”
    - Avalon C.
    “Demonstrated Patience, Responsiveness, and Expertise”
    “Our concerns were always addressed in a timely manner, and regular updates were consistently provided. Little Law, P.A., without exception, demonstrated patience, responsiveness, and expertise. We highly recommend Little Law, P.A. to anyone seeking an immi”
    - Tereza B.
    “Very Professional and Very Knowledgeable”
    “I can sit here and type that I just passed my citizenship interview and passed on the first attempt! Thank you.”
    - Alvin M.
    “High Level of Integrity”
    “Great service. Attorney Little was very caring, knowledgeable and with a high level of integrity. I will definitely refer her to friends and family.”
    - DT
    “Patient, Attentive and Took Time to Listen to Me and Find a Resolution”
    “My experience with Ms Little was very professional. She was patient, attentive and took time to listen to me and find a resolution. I was very impressed with her service!”
    - Alicia R.
    “Willing to Help”

    After being denied a visitor visa. I spoke to her concerning what I should do to obtain one. She was very professional and well-informed. She understood what I needed and gave me the necessary information which allowed me to get my visa when I reapplied

    - Keston L.
    “Lucky to Find Ms. Little”
    “Good help is hard to find. I must be blessed or lucky to find Ms. Little. She is very professional and thorough, throughout the entirety of my case. Definitely look forward to the day she becomes a household name. Thank you again, Ms. Little.”
    - Derrick P.
    “Always Available for Advice”
    “Very pleased with the services I received from Jamila Little. Very responsive and always available for advice. Thank you”
    - Valentina S.

Who Qualifies For EB-2 Or EB-3 Visas?

Employers looking to fill a job position with a foreign national will go through the EB-2 or EB-3 visa route, depending on the qualifications of the candidate and the position the company is hiring for.

  • EB-2 applicants have advanced degrees such as Masters, Ph. D.s, or M.D.s. Some highly trained or high-skilled professionals may also qualify for EB-2 visas.
  • EB-3 applicants have to satisfy fewer demanding requirements. They are available to a foreign national with a full-time job offer from a certified employer, and a wide variety of workers may qualify.

Before an employer fills a position with an EB-2 or EB-3 candidate, they must obtain labor certification from the government. This requires posting the job offer in a public forum so that it meets the requirements of specific government criteria. The reason behind doing this is to ensure that efforts to fill the position with qualified domestic candidates have been exhausted. 

In addition, you will need to offer a competitive salary commensurate with industry standards. Lastly, you’ll need to show that the individual you are staffing the position with legitimately has the qualifications required to fill the position.

If you are a company looking to hire an ideal candidate from overseas, an experienced business visa lawyer can help ensure you maintain compliance with government regulations. We can also help you build a comprehensive strategy and obtain necessary labor certifications.

Investor Visas for Treaty Traders or Treaty Investors

If you are trying to enter the U.S. to engage in international trade or on behalf of an employer to invest a significant amount of capital in U.S. business, you may be able to receive an E-1, E-2, or EB-5 visa. 

These nonimmigrant visas are open to nationals from countries with a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S.:

  • E-1: Treaty trader who enters the United States for substantial trade in goods, services, or technology between the States and the trader’s country of origin.
  • E-2: Treaty investor who enters the United States to direct enterprise operations into which the investor is investing a significant amount of capital.
  • EB-5: There are numerous similarities between E-2 and EB-5 visas, but EB-5 visas allow foreign investors to petition for immediate permanent resident status (or become green card holders).
  • EB-5 visas require visa holders to invest $1 million in a domestic business or $500,000 in an area with notably high unemployment or a targeted rural area. The investment is required to protect at least 10 existing jobs or create 10 new ones. The major benefit of the EB-5 is that the investor qualifies for immediate (conditional) green card status.

Temporary Work Visas L, P & O

Temporary worker visas are a common type of work visa that fall into the L category. These visas are intended for individuals who will be employed in a specialty occupation that requires at least four years of post-secondary education in the field of specialization. 

The most common type of L visa is the L-1 visa, which is available to employees of multinational companies who are transferring to a U.S. office. To qualify, the employee must have been employed by the company for at least one year before the transfer and must be coming to the U.S. to work as an executive, manager, or employee with specialized knowledge.

Continue Reading Read Less
  • Over a Decade of Experience

    Reliable, experienced, and effective legal counsel.

  • Providing Service in Spanish
    Work with a team who understands you.
  • Offering Virtual Consultations
    With virtual consultations, it's easier than ever to get started.
  • Immigrant & Attorney
    As an immigrant herself, Attorney Little understands the right lawyer matters.
Schedule an Appointment